Fresh Chicken: 10% off for CSA Members
CSA Pick-Up July 20-25
We apologize for the late newsletter this week–we spent yesterday processing and packaging our pasture-raised chicken. Waking up at 5:30 and finishing at 9:00, it was a long day, but one that will surely result in many delicious meals. We’ll have fresh chicken for sale today at Monday’s Montpelier pick-up. $5.95/lb, and all CSA members get 10% off. It will also be for sale at the farm throughout the season, with another round of fresh birds in the beginning of October.
This week on the menu: salad mix, cucumbers, carrots, beets, zucchini, herbs, green garlic
RECIPE: ROAST CHICKEN
This Chef’s Illustrated recipe is simple and delicious! Though it only calls for butter, salt and pepper, you can also add fresh herbs such as sage, oregano, or thyme.
- 1 Whole Chicken (3 1/2 lb bird should roast in 55-60 minutes; a 4 lb bird in 60-65 minutes)
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Oil for basket or V-rack
- Place shallow roasting pan in oven and heat to 375. Brush chicken with butter and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper
- Remove heated pan from oven and set oiled basket or V-rack in it. Place the chicken on rack, wing side up.
- Roast 15 min, then rotate chicken, other wing side up.
- Roast 15 minutes, then rotate chicken, breast side up.
- Turn oven to 450. Roast until thermometer inserted in breast reads 160 and in thigh reads between 165 and 170, 20 -25 minutes longer.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board; let rest 10 minutes. Carve and serve.